JOHN D. CHMELIR, P.E.
John is a senior engineering design and construction professional with experience managing the design and construction of civil and architectural projects including single and multi-family residential, medical offices, restaurants, lodging, factory, and warehouse facilities as both an owner consultant and as a general contractor.
2001 - Present JCS-OREGON, LLC (JCS)
1995 - 2001 EXPEDITION PROJECT MANAGEMENT LLC (EPM)
Managing Member and owner of both firms. EPM, a Utah LLC became JCS-OREGON.
EPM was the predecessor company to John Chmelir's Sons, LLC which was shortened to JCS-OREGON, LLC. EPM provided Project Management services to government and industrial clients across the United States:
- Project Manager for factories ranging from packaging, to industrial webbing, to medical implant and suture manufacturing. Factories were in the 70KSF - 80KSF / $3M - $5M range at locations in Michigan, Texas, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Arizona. ALl projects were delivered as Design/Build..Cleint: MARMON GROUP.
- Project Manager for the planning, design, and construction of a $9.2M Transportation Center in Park City, Utah for the 2002 Winter Olympics. Client: City of Park CIty, UT.
JCS-OREGON: Company Principal: Leads design and constrution teams on a variety of building types and residential / commercial subdivisions. Projects include:
- Kinsington Court Condominium, Grants Pass, OR: Planning, design, and CM/GC / for 22 two and three-bedroom condos. $5.86M Client: Kinsington Building Company, LLC
- Kinsington Place, Grants Pass, OR. Planning, design and CM/GC for the construction of an 8,343 SF, 16 bed Residential Care Facility, Memory Care Endorsed. Client: Heirloom Living Centers, LLC
- John Chmelir's Sons LLC - Homebuilder: Design and construct 18 custom homes / 2200 SF to 5600 SF $10.5M
- North Ashland Business Plaza, Ashland, OR: Planning and CM/GC / Project Principal / 13,300 SF Med. office building and 3450 SF restaurant $3.8M Client: Duane Smith
- Meadow Wood Subdivision, Grants Pass, OR: Planning and CM/GC / Project Principal / 126 lot res.l sub. infrastructure $4.85M: Client: Willow Development Consultants, LLC
- Laurel Pines Subdivision, Cave Junction, OR: CM/GC / Project Principal / 48 res. lots, 3.7 Ac Commercial $2.4M Cient: Illinois Valley Development
- Lithia Springs Inn, Ashland, OR: Over a 12 year period, Planning, design team management and CM/GC / 20 luxury suites, dining room addition & remodel; commercial kitchen remodel, Domestic Water Supply system improvements, and 35 spaces in two parking lots. $1.9M Cleints: Inn @ Lithia Springs, LLC and BDN, LLC.
1985 - 1995 VICE PRESIDENT, Mountain Division Manager, URS Corporation, Inc.
- $27.9 M operation with offices in Denver, Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, and Phoenix.
- Provided services in heavy civil/structural engineering, water resources, surveying and hazardous waste remediation and construction management.
- Responsible for growing staff from 65 to 134 over a five-year period.
- Branch Manager in Colorado Springs and Denver operations.
1969 - 1980 Active 1980 - 1998 Reserve Officer, US Army Corps of Engineers
- Active Duty -
- Troop Leadership through command of 188 man, heavy construction company in Korea.
- Assistant Area Engineer, Portland District, USACE / $100M Applegate Dam in Oregon
- Reserve Duty - Engineer staff positions at Western Forces Command and 416th Engineer Command
RELATED EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Masters of Business Administration University of Utah 1998
Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering St. Martin's College 1976
Registered Civil Engineer AZ, CO, UT, OR, WA
Lieutenant Colonel, (Ret) US Army Corps of Engineers
Member Oregon Residential and Manufactured Structures Board, Gubernatorial Appointment - Current
PREVIOUS GOVERNMENT PROJECTS:
West Jackson x Highway 99 Intersection Improvements: Project Principal for design and Construction Manager for the reconstruction and signalization of this intersection at the North Entrance to Ashland. $849k Clieint: Jackson County Roads.
Old Town Intermodal Terminal, Park City Municipal Corporation, UT (Funding US Dept of Transportation) Project Manager for design and construction of a $9.2M Transit Center in Historic Old Town Park City in preparation for the 2002 Winter Olympics, including the environmental remediation of this old mill site, and the reconstruction of a Y-intersection on State Highway 224 into a modern roundabout.
- The project was separated into multiple contracts each with date milestones incentivized for successful completion to allow critical holiday access. Key was on time completion of the City Offices main parking lot.
- Work required remediation of a 2 acre sliver mill by partial soil removal and capping.
- Massive retaining walls required over $1M of stone facing to match to an old foundation wall which was on the list of historic places and was itself reconstructed.
Vail Transit Center and Parking Garage, Vail CO: Project Principal for this Owner's Representative engagement during redesign and construction of a major addition and renovation to the main parking structure in Vail, CO, including a visitor center / main transit station.
- Brought in when bids greatly exceeded budget and worked to simplify construction requirements and reduce price, then administered the construction on behalf of the owner.
- Modified schedule to fit milestone events - ski season and summer festivals.
- Created public relations campaign that softened the impacts of driving piling in downtown.
New Denver Airport - West Airfield, City and County of Denver, CO: Project Principal for grading and drainage design for the three-runway West Airfield, and bulk package carrier areas.
- Work covered 2,500 acres and 30 million cubic yards of excavations.
- Designed and then provided Construction Engineering for three separate construction contracts.
- Work included several re-designs as impacts of other work designs became known.
Recreation Center, City of Thornton, CO: Project Principal for value engineering of design, cost estimating, bid period services and CM of this $12M multi-use recration facility.
- Brought in to thrift the work when the initial construction estimates were excessive and were retained to provide the construction engineering and administration for the project.
ARCS VI, VII AND VIII, U.S.E.P.A., Alternative Remediation Contracting Strategies for EPA Regions VI, VII and VIII: Program Principal for engineering design and construction management necessary to implement this $115M fee, ten year contract to remediate NPL (Superfund) sites.
- Sites include Boulder Landfill; Sand Creek Industrial Site OU-1 and OU-4, Commerce City, Colorado; VERTAC Chemical Site, Jacksonville, Arkansas; Midval Slag, Midvale, Utah, and over 140 PA/SI sites in Region VIII.
- Work was multiple task orders covering a variety of services including preliminary assessment, site and remedial investigations, feasibility studies, and cleanup construction.
- Each assignment had its own scope, schedule, and budget all worked into an overall funding appropriation and flow.
Resident Engineer, Rogue Basin Projects, Portland District, US Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville, Oregon: Resident Engineer for construction for 23-story reinforced concrete Intake Tower, 1000 LF regulating outlet conduit, and twin stilling basin structures; two multi-span reinforced concrete bridges; and seven miles of roads at Applegate Dam, near Jacksonville, Oregon.
E-470 Owner's Rep./Contract Consultant, E-470 Public Highway Authority, Denver, CO Owner's Representative for CM of 5.3 miles of new $53m toll road segment. Project Manager for development, advertisement, and negotiation of the $545M Design/Build Contract for Segments II, III, and IV. Preliminary design of a new freeway to tollway interchange.
General Engineering Consultant, Orange County Transportation Corridor Agencies, Irvine, CA Project Manager to author the design/build contract and invitation for bids, and Principal in Charge for bid evaluation and contract negotiation of $790M San Jaoquin Corridor.
I-15 Reference Documents - Utah Department of Transportation, SLC, UT Project Principal for reference document (15% design) preparation for the I-15 stretch from 950 South to 1900 South. The design product was used in the Invitation for Bids for the $1.4 Billion Design/Build Contract.
Environmental Assessment, State Highway 85, Colorado Department of Transportation, Denver, CO Environmental assessment for widening of 20 miles of SH 85 between Castle Rock and C-470 to an ultimate 6 lane section.
ID/IQ Design Services, Federal Highways Administration (FHWA). Project Principal for four year, $6M contract for environmental, preliminary and final design for roads and bridges on federal lands in seventeen western states.
I-25/58th Avenue, Colorado Department of Transportation. Project Principal for planing and design of widening of I-25 between I-70 and 58th Avenue, including design of a new interchange, widening of interstate to 12 lanes, massive retaining walls, and hazardous waste remedial design and cleanup for R.O.W. acquisition.